Saturday 3 May 2014

ALEX TOTH - JONES

Who is …Alex Toth-Jones – Senior Rotax Kart Racer with Griffin Racing.

 I used to watch the Grand Prix with my Grandad when I was little and loved everything about cars and racing. By the time I was 11 I’d decided I wanted to be a racing driver and started working out how I could make that happen.
 I persuaded my Dad and Grandad to take me to the indoor track at Pole Position in Leeds. I think they wondered if this would get it out of my system, but it didn’t. Next came outdoor karting and my dad hired a kart from Tockwith race track. This is when I noticed that he had the racing bug just as badly as I do. He sold his motorbike and bought me my first kart and we would practice at Tockwith until I was ready to take my ARKS test.

photo courtesy of www.picturesports.co.uk

 The differences between and great racers is slim, but those few tenths are vital. If I was going to make a career from racing I needed to know if I had the required talent. Desire will carry you a long way, but when you get there you need to know you can deliver. So Dad and I decided to race at PF International in the Trent Valley Kart Club Championship, reasoning that if I could race competitively there I wasn’t wasting my time and Dad’s money.
 My first ever race was in Junior Max April 2010 Summer Championship. Sadly my Grandad died of a brain tumour before he could see my first real race.
 In my first full year as a Rookie in Junior Max I came 9th in the championship and took 2nd place Rookie. Dad was preparing the kart and making the changes, working from the back of van and with a gazebo from the local DIY shop. Yet despite our shoe string budget and limited experience we were able to attract some sponsors and with their help put together enough funding to join Griffin Racing and expand the number of tracks we raced at.


photo courtesy of www.picturesports.co.uk

 In 2013, as soon as I turned 16 we made the jump to Senior Max, the class I’m racing in today and staying with Griffin Racing who provide a excellence team environment for us to work in.
 2013 was a real turning point for me. At the British Kart GP after 4 days of qualifying races, heats and fighting may way through to the B Final, the Pre Final and to the A Final, I was awarded the Spirit of Kartmasters at the British Kart GP, by the club for my efforts.
 If getting to the Kartmaster final against the best karters in the UK wasn’t enough, I was also chosen by the MSA to be part of their Academy driver excellence programme, AASE. As well as it being a fantastic honour, being selected gives me access to some of the best coaches in motorsport.
photo courtesy of www.picturesports.co.uk
 Funding karting is always a challenge. Dad is my mechanic and Mum is my marketing department and has developed some great relationships. Stepping on to the next level needs an increase in the budget and we are always keen to investigate how we can help companies expand through cross marketing, advertising and partnership.
 The roadmap for the next few years is to move in to Formula Ford or BRDC F4.
 If you would like to contact Alex please do so though his web site. www.alextothjonesracing.co.uk

Twitter @AlexTJRacing
Facebook Alex Toth-Jones Racing

No comments:

Post a Comment